Sunday, January 18, 2015

January

I am sitting here in front of my computer and I have absolutely no idea what I am going to talk about. It's Sunday night. I usually loathe Sunday nights, not because of Sunday nights in particular, but because of the fact that school follows in the morning. However, I am off from school tomorrow and there is an incredible peace washing over me as I type this. The sky is getting dark. It has been a typical January day, with patchy clouds interrupted by slices of blue, icy air that burns with every breath, and a tiny flicker of hope in the fact that winter will pass and life will begin again. Days like this are the reason I love January. I despise the cold, but the deep blue sky and the fresh start that accompanies the beginning of a new year are good for the soul. God says to us, "Here! A new year for you." We celebrate by letting go of old habits and establishing new ones. We have the chance to remake ourselves. The chance to explore, to dream, to dare. I embrace it. I was on the water yesterday, flying over waves and fixing my gaze on the horizon. The infinite sky reflected off the infinite water. It filled me with awe. Our world is a beautiful gift, artfully formed, artfully sustained. The basic intricacy of life on this planet is so intelligently crafted. The new year accentuates the beauty that perpetually goes unnoticed. January is one of my favorite months.

No comments:

Post a Comment