Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Tuesday Thoughts

I've started playing piano again. 
Piano isn't the most exciting or unique instrument, but there is something beautiful and reflective in the sound it produces. Playing piano is like prayer. It's a meditative conversation with God through music. 
I realized something yesterday while I was texting my friend. I told her that I was sad, that I missed the profound peace that accompanies a week in the mountains with dear friends. She told me that the peace isn't in the mountains. It's in my heart. After reading her thoughtful reply, I felt challenged to not let my surroundings determine my happiness. 
This morning, I woke up and looked out the window. I took time to admire the way the early morning sun touched the leaves and tinted everything pale green. I greeted the spider that lives in the corner of my ceiling instead of swatting him down (let's hope I don't regret that later). I noticed the dew-coated flowers opening to the rising sun. How many tiny miracles do we leave unnoticed every day? Do we notice the nest delicately constructed by birds in our porch ferns? Do we notice the way the air feels different in the morning? Do we waste time hating our messy hair when we roll out of bed? 
What are we missing? 
Smile today. Say a prayer of thanks. Make a cup of tea. Get up and dance. 
Live.

No comments:

Post a Comment